- Plant Killer
- Has none to very little gardening skills
- Has little knowledge of what to do in plant care
- Would like a way to figure out where to start in gardening and have a guide
- Is mostly an expert at gardening
- Is knowledgeable at plant care
- Would like a way to keep track of gardening data
The test plan focuses on the core functionality: researching plants, entering data, and finding
social inspiration. Both test task flows have the user perform the key interaction loop:
researching a plant, adding it to their personal database (My Plants), looking for images, and
entering expense data into the app. Plant killer uses a more focused search to find a plant that
is hardy enough to survive someone with little to no gardening skills. Green thumb focuses more
on plant detail data: researching nutrient schedules, and tracking expenses.
Findings will be used to perform another round of iteration on the prototype before
transitioning to a hi-fi prototype where the focus will be on micro interactions and the visual
The tests were performed in person by the researcher and data was later accumulated,
discussed, and analyzed.
Protocol - Informed Consent & Test
Hello, thank you for meeting with me today. I am working on a team project to create a
horticulture and gardening app called GardenGrower, which mainly focuses on home-based
growing. The purpose of this app is to make the user’s gardening experience easier. This
includes features like resource management, gardening walkthroughs, researching plants,
tracking plant growth data, and connecting with others in the gardening community.
The purpose of conducting this test is for my team to investigate the app’s usability with its
target users. This test will allow us to identify any problems with the app and hopefully figure out
solutions to them. The test will be documented by taking notes and recording. There are no right
or wrong ways to carry out an activity. I just want to observe what you do and hear what you
have to say. It is highly encouraged you speak out loud on your thoughts and describe what
you’re doing as you perform the activities because it will help us analyze our findings. You may
be asked questions before, during, or after performing the activity. This test should take no
longer than 30 minutes.
This activity is voluntary, and you have the right to not demonstrate any activity or answer any
question; you are free to stop the testing at any time for any reason. Please note that your
responses and actions in this test will be confidential and used only for this class assignment.
Your first name will be used to identify you, but if you wish, you can opt to use a pseudonym
rather than your real name. Also, I want to remind you that this is testing the app itself, not you,
the user. It is okay to make mistakes because looking for mistakes is one reason why we are
testing. Lastly, you can’t hurt our feelings in any way if you feel, say, or think negatively about
anything in this test.
Do you have any questions or concerns before we begin testing?
Plant Killer Tasks
Green Thumb Tasks
- Can you show me how you would look for a plant that needs partial light, easy care, and
does not get too big?
- Can you add a plant from the previous results to your My Plants page?
- Can you find pictures of plants from other users?
Questions to ask users between tasks
- Can you find a plant from your local area and add it to your My Plants page?
- Can you look for predefined nutrient schedules for the plant you just added?
- Can you add an expense for the plant you previously added to your My Plants page?
**Throughout tasks, ask any other questions that may arise.**
- How easy/hard did that task seem?
- Was there anything about the task that was challenging or confusing?
- Was there anything about the task that felt really easy or enjoyable?
- Was there any language or were there labels that you had trouble understanding?
- What was your favorite thing about the app you used today?
- What was your least favorite thing about the app you used today?
- Is there anything you found particularly valuable about the app or the information it
- Was there anything missing? Was there any additional information or functionality you
would have liked to have while completing these tasks?
- How does the app make you feel? If the app was a person, how would you describe its
- Do you think you would use this app it was in the app store today? Why or how do you
think it would help you in gardening?
That concludes the test. Thank you for your time and for meeting with me. Your help will
certainly make the app better. Is there anything else you’d like to share?